Connect with us

Hollywood

Bob Dylan says even “HE doesn’t know what everything ‘means’ in his songs” in Nobel Lecture

Published

on

Bob Dylan
Spread the love
Read Time: 2 minutes

Stockholm, June 6: Music Icon Bob Dylan has delivered his Nobel Lecture to the Swedish Academy just in time to collect a 8 million Swedish krona ($1.2 million) reward.

Musician Dylan, who won the Nobel prize for literature October 2016 was required by laureates to give a lecture no later than June 10 to collect prize money.

‘If a song moves you, that’s all that’s important. I don’t have to know what a song means. I’ve written all kinds of things into my songs. And I’m not going to worry about it – what it all means,’ he said in the speech posted on the Academy’s website.

The speech was posted online on Monday, and the Swedish Academy’s permanent secretary Sara Danius released a statement saying that “the Dylan adventure is coming to a close, and the speech is extraordinary.

In the 26-minute Nobel lecture published as an audio file, Dylan says ‘Our songs are alive in the land of the living. But songs are unlike literature. They’re meant to be sung, not read.
“The themes from those books [and others that impacted him] worked their way into many of my songs, either knowingly or unintentionally,” he said. “I wanted to write songs unlike anything anybody ever heard, and these themes were fundamental.”

The 76-year-old musician, was awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize for literature, even he did not attend the awards ceremony in Stockholm in December last year. Then US ambassador to Sweden Azita Raji read Dylan’s thank-you speech at the banquet.

Dylan is the first singer-songwriter to win the prestigious Nobel Literature Prize.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ankita Gupta is based in Delhi and has worked in quite a few digital companies in various capacities. She loves to write and share her views, especially on the happenings in Bollywood, Hollywood, TV and the music industry. She also writes valuable articles for the Lifestyle category and serves interesting Food recipes in the Food segment.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

EDITOR'S PICK

Let’s tune into Top Ten Michael Jackson Hits

Published

on


Spread the love
Read Time: 4 minutes

The King of Pop, Michael Joseph Jackson (1958-2009) was a multitalented artist and one of the greatest performers that ever existed. His incredible love for music accompanied by his breathtaking dance moves have proved that he was one of the greatest entertainers of the world. Though each of his music is a masterpiece, here we have tried to present a few of his top performances.

#10

“Man in the Mirror” (1988)

Man in the Mirror was written by Siedah Garrett and music by Glen Ballard, and produced by Jackson and Quincy Jones. The song was released as the fourth single from his seventh solo album, Bad (1987) and later peaked at number 1 in the United States. It was also nominated for ‘Record of the Year’ at the Grammy Awards.

#9

“Rock with You” (1979)

The song was written by Rod Temperton, produced by Quincy Jones and released Epic Records on November 3, 1979. It was the second single from MJ’s fifth solo studio album Off the Wall (1979). The song was the third number-one hit of the 1980s.

#8

“The Way You Make Me Feel” (1987)

The song was released by Epic Records on November 9, 1987. It was the third single from MJ’s seventh studio album, Bad (1987). This was composed and written and by MJ and co-produced by Jackson and Quincy Jones. The song was the third consecutive single to enter the Billboard Hot 100 record chart within the top ten and twenty internationally.

#7

“Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” (1979)

“Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” was written and recorded by MJ himself. It was released by Epic Records on July 28, 1979. This was the first track on MJ’s fifth studio album Off the Wall (1979). Also, it was the first solo recording over which Jackson had creative control.

#6

“Bad” (1987)

MJ’s Bad was released by Epic Records on September 7, 1987, as the second single from his third major-label and a seventh studio album of the same name. It was written and composed by MJ himself, and produced by Quincy Jones and Jackson. As per MJ’s statement the song was inspired by a real-life story of a young man who tried to escape poverty by attending private school but ended up being killed when he returned home.

#5

“Smooth Criminal” (1987)

Smooth Criminal is one of JM’s signature songs and was performed on all most all his solo trips. The music piece along with its fast beat features about a woman who has been attacked in her apartment by a “smooth criminal”. The song is from MJ’s seventh studio album Bad (1987) and was written and composed by MJ himself and produced by Jackson and Quincy Jones.

#4

“Black or White” (1991)

This song was released on November 11, 1991, by Epic Records. It was the first single from MJ’s eighth studio album, Dangerous. He had co-written, composed and produced it with Bill Bottrell. The music video had made history when 500 million pitched in for its television premiere.

#3

“Thriller” (1983)

Thriller is the 6th studio album by MJ, released on November 30, 1982, in the United States by Epic Records and internationally by CBS Records. Thriller was the world’s best-selling album with an estimated selling count of 66 million copies. In 1984, Thriller won eight Grammy Awards including Album of the Year.

#2

“Beat It” (1983)

#1

“Billie Jean” (1983)

Billie Jean was released by Epic Records on January 2, 1983, as the second single from MJ’s sixth studio album, Thriller (1982). The song was written and composed by MJ himself and produced by MJ and Quincy Jones. The song introduced a more paranoid lyrical style for MJ, a trademark of his later music. The lyrics describe a woman, Billie Jean, who claims that the narrator is the father of her newborn son, which he denies. MJ had stated that the lyrics were based on groupies’ claims about his older brothers when he toured with them as the Jackson 5.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Avengers Endgame’: Mark Ruffalo and Chris Evans offer fans the chance to attend the world premiere

Published

on

By


Spread the love
Read Time: 2 minutes

The fans of ‘Avengers‘ have a reason to rejoice, as they can now avail an opportunity to attend the world premiere of the movie ‘Avengers: Endgame‘ along with the Marvel stars.

Mark Ruffalo took to his Instagram account to shell out more details by posting a video, in which he can be seen with his co-actor Chris Evans.

“Will you join me at the Avengers: Endgamepremiere? It’s your LAST CHANCE to see me definitely not cry on the red carpet! Support the Stella Adler Academy and ENTER NOW with my bio link or go to omaze.com/mark #onlyatomaze @omazeworld,” he wrote.

 

Avengers: Endgame stars and Omaze (a company which aids in raising money for non-profits) have joined hands to give the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) fans this once in a lifetime opportunity of attending the world premiere of the movie along with the Marvel stars.

In the video, Mark, as well as Chris Evans, is seen saying that the last date to register oneself to attend the exclusive premiere is about to close down. He also lays emphasis on the fact that instead of shelling a whopping amount in buying the tickets, one can attend the premiere with stars for free. Also, selected few will get a chance to take home a replica of Thor’s hammer and Captain America’s shield without paying a penny.

The actors also gave a URL where one can register. As per the website of Omaze, one can not only attend the premiere but can also get a chance to get a selfie with stars and attend a private after party as well. The hotel and flight tickets will be provided by Omaze too. With this, Omaze will help to raise funds for Stella Adler Academy of Acting & Theater and Christopher’s Haven.

The Joe and Anthony Russo directorial is all set to release on April 26, 2019.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

While ‘Sucker’ continues to top charts, The Jonas Brothers drop new song ‘Cool’

Published

on

By


Spread the love
Read Time: 1 minute

Lately, I’ve been feeling so cool, Top to the bottom, just cool.” Jonas Brothers’ new music video ‘Cool’ is out now and is all set to make you groove to its tune. Nick Jonas posted a small clip from the video on Instagram and wrote: “#CoolVideo Out Now “.

 

Nick also shared a selfie boomerang with his consort Priyanka Chopra. The couple could be seen clinking glasses.

 

The video has been directed by Anthony Mandler and produced by Kim Bradshaw. The song starts with the brothers sitting together in identical clothes and is adorned with colourful sets and costumes.

So far, the official music video has been viewed 8,865,822 times and has garnered 887 K likes. Jonas Brothers’ last song was ‘Sucker’, which came out on February 28 and featured the trio with their partners.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Rolling Stones’ frontman Mick Jagger thanks well-wishers post his heart surgery

Published

on

By


Spread the love
Read Time: 1 minute

Mick Jagger, frontman of English rock band Rolling Stones, on Saturday said he is feeling “much better” post his heart surgery.

The legendary band had to postpone the North American leg of their ‘No Filter’ tour, which was supposed to run from April 20 to July 29 to give Jagger time to undergo medical treatment and recover.

“Thank you, everyone, for all your messages of support, I’m feeling much better now and on the mend – and also a huge thank you to all the hospital staff for doing a superb job,” the 75-year-old rocker posted on Twitter.

Rolling Stone magazine previously reported that the operation involved surgery to replace a heart valve.

Mick Jagger has successfully undergone treatment. He is doing very well and is expected to make a full recovery,” the band had said in a statement.

There is no announcement yet on when the delayed tour dates will be rescheduled.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Sandra Bullock, not Keanu Reeves, was first choice to play Neo in ‘The Matrix’

Published

on

By


Spread the love
Read Time: 2 minutes

The Matrix producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura has revealed that before Keanu Reeves was chosen to play Neo, he initially wanted Sandra Bullock for the role.

Di Bonaventura, whose filmography includes discovering the cult classic sci-fi franchise at Warner Bros and Transformers film series, said there were far more than two options to choose from.

Several A-listers including Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio and Will Smith were considered for the part.

“We went out to so many people I don’t remember. We were getting desperate. We went to Sandy Bullock and said ‘We’ll change Neo to a girl.’ (Producer) Joel Silver and I worked with Sandy on Demolition Man and she was and continues to be a very good friend of mine.

“It was pretty simple. We sent her the script to see if she was interested in it. And if she was interested in it we would try to make the change,” he told The Wrap in an interview as part of the film’s 20th anniversary year.

“It just wasn’t something for her at the time. So really it didn’t go anywhere,” di Bonaventura added.

A representative for Bullock said the actor did not recall the specifics of the pitch for The Wachowskis’ epic but di Bonaventura was always supportive of her career.

She added, however, that the right person was cast for the film.

In 2009, the actor said that she was also considered to play Trinity and regretted not taking it. The role famously went to Carrie-Anne Moss.

Reeves and Bullock had featured in the 1994 action blockbuster Speed, a few years before The Matrix released.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Game of Thrones’ final season will divide fans: Kit Harington

Published

on

By


Spread the love
Read Time: 1 minute

Kit Harington believes the ending of Game of Thrones will “divide opinion” because it is impossible to please everyone in the audience.

The 32-year-old British actor, who plays Jon Snow in the HBO epic fantasy drama, said the makers have made sure to give a “strong” end to popular series, reported Contactmusic.

”I think it will be strong. But you don’t want to mess it up on the very last outing. I haven’t watched a single series that has a following like Thrones does where everyone is satisfied with the ending.

“I don’t think that it’ll be any different with this. I think it will divide opinion,” Harington told Emmy magazine.

Game of Thrones, which started airing in 2011, will wrap with season eight.

Earlier this year, the network announced that the final season will premiere on April 14. In India, the series will premiere on Star World.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

New ‘Avengers: Endgame’ TV spot ‘honours’ fallen superheroes

Published

on

By


Spread the love
Read Time: 2 minutes

The latest TV spot for Avengers: Endgame gives a glimpse of Black Panther, Doctor Strange, The Wasp, The Winter Soldier, Star-Lord, Drax, and Gamora who were missing from the first trailer.

New 30-seconds-long video once more takes you down the memory lane, this time with Dr Steven Strange, T’Challa, Hope van Dyne, Bucky Barnes, Peter Quill and others.

Captain America aka Steve Rogers’ voice takes up narration as we see friendships, relationships fade away in the black and white montage.

“We lost. All of us. We lost friends, we lost family. Today we have a chance to take it all back. We will. Whatever it takes,” says Steve.

The lines are echoed by Ronin aka Clint Barton and none other than Iron Man aka Tony Stark. (Did Tony lose Pepper Potts after the snap or is he talking about bringing Peter Parker aka Spider-Man back?)

 

 

This is not all.

Marvel Studios also released official synopsis forAvengers: Endgame. The official website features the overview that reads, “The grave course of events set in motion by Thanos that wiped out half the universe and fractured the Avengers ranks compels the remaining Avengers to take one final stand in Marvel Studios’ grand conclusion to twenty-two films, Avengers: Endgame.”

Directed by Russo Brothers, Avengers: Endgameis set to release on April 26 in English, Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

For ‘Game of Thrones’ star Emilia Clarke, fame is anxiety-inducing

Published

on

By


Spread the love
Read Time: 1 minute

Emilia Clarke says she values the love she receives from her audience but at the same time finds fame “anxiety” inducing.

The Game of Thrones star says she is “guarded” about her anonymity, reported Contactmusic.

“I do get recognised more now. Sometimes you walk down the street and someone is like, ‘Wah.’ I do feel very guarded about my anonymity. You know, I like going to the butcher’s and having a chat and it being a normal thing.

”I like human interaction. I value it, I appreciate it. It’s what makes me feel happy. So when that is taken away with someone looking at you in a different guise, it can be incredibly difficult. It can be anxiety-inducing,” Clarke told The Sun.

The 32-year-old actor said she never Googles herself as she believes it can harm her ”mental health”.

“I never read anything about the show. Absolutely nothing. I don’t find it helpful for my mental health,” she added.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Godzilla Vs Kong’ is visually extraordinary: Alexander Skarsgard

Published

on

By


Spread the love
Read Time: 1 minute

Actor Alexander Skarsgard says Godzilla Vs Kong is visually “extraordinary”.

The 42-year-old actor said the film, which is scheduled to release next year, gave him the chance to play a character which is different from what he has done in the past two years.

“We’ve been shooting for two months, we were in Hawaii for a month we were in Australia for a month and I fly back tomorrow morning to continue. I’m having so much fun, I’m loving it I really am.

”It’s quite different for The Aftermath, and from most movies I’ve been doing the past two years I’ve done a lot of slightly more cerebral, emotionally intense dramas. So in that way it was quite cathartic and it was exciting to something big and fun and I love the character I play in it and visually it’s pretty extraordinary,” Skarsgard told Collider.

The film, directed by Adam Wingard, follows on from Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla and Jordan Vogt-Roberts’ Kong: Skull Island and Godzilla: King of the Monsters, which is slated for release this year.

Godzilla Vs Kong also features Julian Dennison, Brian Tyree Henry, Demian Bichir and Millie Bobby Brown.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Oscars 2019: India-based ‘Period. End of Sentence.’ wins documentary short subject

Published

on

By


Spread the love
Read Time: 1 minute

Period. End of Sentence,’ an India-based documentary created history after winning the best documentary short subject at the 2019 Oscars.

The film is helmed by Rayka Zehtabchi, who overjoyed by the win, expressed her happiness saying, “I can’t believe a film about menstruation just won an Oscar.”

The film has been produced by Guneet Monga, who has previously produced critically acclaimed films like ‘Masaan’ and ‘Lunchbox’.

The film was competing with other films including ‘Black Sheep’, ‘End Game’, ‘Lifeboat’ and ‘A Night at the Garden’.

The documentary that tackles the stigma around menstruation in rural India, is currently available on Netflix.

‘Period. End of Sentence.’ is the second Oscar-winning documentary short set in India, along with Smile Pinki (2008).

The 2019 Oscars is taking place at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Centre in Hollywood.

The ceremony was presented hostless for the first time in 30 years after Kevin Hart stepped down as the host following a controversy surrounding his old homophobic tweets. (ANI)

Continue Reading

More From NewsViewsNetwork

Subscribe To Our NewsletterDon't worry, we too hate spam.

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from around the world in your area of interest.